Teaching conservation and preservation in tropical climates
July 9 @ 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm CAT
12:00pm – 1:00pm GMT
A presentation and group discussion on the issues of preservation and conservation in tropical climates in order to develop a common understanding of the challenges heritage institutions and schools of archival science are faced with in an effort to preserve precious vital records and archives.
The specific objectives of are to:
- Identify the common problems archivists are faced with in their effort to preserve and conserve archival materials;
- Highlight the main causes of deterioration; internal and external;
- Identify solutions to the common problems some of which we have very little control over;
- Share experiences of teaching preservation and conservation with limited resources;
- Determine ways AERI community can address some of the challenges; ie ‘global solutions to preservation and conservation of archives’.
Organizer: Dr Ruth Abankwah is a Senior Lecturer in archives and records at the University of Namibia in Southern Africa.